The Poet

The Poet

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Nothing But The Blues by Ronald S Porter ©2017

I ain't got nothin' but the blues.
My car isn't running.
It's been six years of so since a taste of honey;
It am not funnin' you, I'm all out of money.
It's no joke, I just sit home, stroke and smoke
 and I'm running low on cigarettes. 
Loaded with debt;- I can't cover bets.

Wondering why I have no membership card,
'cause though I never get the club's newsletter,
I keep on paying the dues. I got no place to go
but, a lot of cool shoes. Otherwise life is hard
And I ain't got nothin' but the blues.

So I am caught between Charybdis and Scylla!
I wrote the preceding line in deference
to all the smart ass, snobby, critics who say 
True Poetry must include a literary reference

No comments:

Post a Comment